Everybody SAMBA!

p.echols at comcast.net p.echols at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 00:01:36 UTC 2010

----- "Bob St. John" <bob-at-ubuntu-desktop at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 00:56 -0600, Emil Payne wrote:
>
> >  Windows Network
> >
> > and clicking on that gives me:
> >
> >  Unable to mount location
> >  Failed to retrieve share list from server
> >

> Folks,
>
> This is interesting . . . I've got a home environment of a WinXP,
> 9.04
> Ubuntu, and 9.10 Ubuntu boxes. File sharing between all (via Samba)
> used
> to work, then suddenly (about two weeks ago?) everything could "see"
> the

I had the same problem with my server (9.04 server running samba) in about the same time frame.

Before I could do anything about it, I had other "infrastructure" problems that required shutdown of all my systems.  When I had them back up, everything worked and I thought no more about it.

Thinking back, and this is a WAG, there may have been an update to SAMBA or some required?  I know I had done server upgrades in about that time frame. Perhaps that made it stop working?

A suggestion would be to restart SAMBA

$ /etc/init.d/samba restart

and see if that fixes it.  Please let us know if it does.

--PE