Question for Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, from Ubuntu 9.04

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Jan 7 18:46:35 UTC 2010

On 01/08/2010 01:54 AM, Jay Mistry wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Since I have a lot of other apps that are
> working well in Ub 9.04 (Chromium, OpenOffice 3.1.1, Ubuntu Tweak,
> many others - these are working ok with Ub 9.04), will they work
> properly with Ub 9.10 ? Or will I need to update each additional
> application with the Ub 9.10 version by adding the sources manually,
> etc ?

Yes, you will need to install again these apps. Some, like OO is part of
the new install. There are some ways to help in easing these
installations without needing to download again the same apps (like
apt-cdrom add) and there are some ways to save and reuse these config
files (like .chromium, .mozilla, .thunderbird etc; they are usually at
~/home, but watch out for double entries) so you don't have to
reconfigure and keep old emails, etc; but that would be a separate subject.

>> Windows bootloader? Do you mean "EasyBCD"? There might be problems if
>> you want to use that with grub2 of 9.10. Best you use the 9.10 grub2 to
>> boot up, set to sda, which will also boot to windows. You will lose your
>> windows mbr, though.  Refer
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2009-December/048401.html
>
> I meant the method mentioned at this post:
> http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/permalink/1004437196/1004437196/ShowThread.aspx#1004437196
> It uses the Windows boot code to boot into Linux by making a copy of
> the MBR as a .bin file, details are as in the link above.

Looked into your link, Jay and yes, very interesting indeed. The answer
is "I really don't know" if the method would work. I think most of us
here would not use this method and would not have an answer for you. I
would not totally rule out the possibility it would not work for grub2
as this method just creates a bin file to add to the bootloader. So if
decide to try this out, I am keen to know if this works. Let us know if
you do.

Regards,
Goh Lip