Question for Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, from Ubuntu 9.04

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:54:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2010 09:01 PM, Jay Mistry wrote:

>> I would like to upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 that I am currently using
>> with Windows XP, by using the Windows bootloader to boot into Ubuntu.
>> For upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04, I would like to know about:
>>
>> - Is it ok to simply format the / (root) partition and leave /home as
>> it is (since there are documents, pictures, etc in /home) and then
>> install the new Ub 9.10 in the formatted / (root) partn. ?
>
> Yes, it is okay to leave the /home, remember to set the /home partition
> and  *don't format it*.
>
>> - Will there be any problem with the new GRUB2 in booting from the
>> Windows bootloader ? Presenty I am using the Windows bootloader to
>> boot into Ub 9.04, with GRUB (old) located in the MBR of / (root)
>> partition  - without any problem.

Thanks for the reply. Since I have a lot of other apps that are
working well in Ub 9.04 (Chromium, OpenOffice 3.1.1, Ubuntu Tweak,
many others - these are working ok with Ub 9.04), will they work
properly with Ub 9.10 ? Or will I need to update each additional
application with the Ub 9.10 version by adding the sources manually,
etc ?

> Windows bootloader? Do you mean "EasyBCD"? There might be problems if
> you want to use that with grub2 of 9.10. Best you use the 9.10 grub2 to
> boot up, set to sda, which will also boot to windows. You will lose your
> windows mbr, though.  Refer
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2009-December/048401.html

I meant the method mentioned at this post:
http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/permalink/1004437196/1004437196/ShowThread.aspx#1004437196
It uses the Windows boot code to boot into Linux by making a copy of
the MBR as a .bin file, details are as in the link above.

> Regards,
> Goh Lip

Thanks,

Jay