[Oracle 10g-XE] Anyone have any experience w/karmic?

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:38:25 UTC 2010

Dne 04.01.2010 (pon) ob 20:28 -0800 je NoOp zapisal(a):
> [Oracle 10g-XE] Anyone have any experience w/karmic?
>
> My son took a college course in dbm using the above so I thought I'd
> give it a spin and install and test. I was able to get it up & running,
> but as soon as I rebooted I can get it to start again unless I modify
> /etc/default/oracle-xe and set: CONFIGURE_RUN=false and then rerun 'sudo
> /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure.
>
> I've tried:
> [1] http://mikesmithers.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/installing-oracle-xe-on-ubuntu-9-10/
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/install/xe-on-kubuntu.html
> http://mediakey.dk/~cc/ubuntu-howto-install-oracle/
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-linux-oracle-database-xe-server/
> [2] http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1005593&tstart=0
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Oracle10g
>
> And I'm a bit stumped on how to resolve the problem. Suggestions?

Hello NoOp,

my encounter with Oracle would hardly deserve the term experience, so
this is just from quick scan of links you provided above.

I suppose you didn't miss the "Edit – Cannot reach Database Home Page
after restart" chapter from [1]?
If this did not work for you, you my try another approach, found in [3],
which is link from [2], post #6 by Rene Jeruschkat.
>From the script Rene wrote and differ from instructions from [1]:

*ensure /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/log/listener.log
is also writable for non oracle users that are part of the dba group

*use bash instead of sh
in /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin/nls_lang.sh
script, replacing "#!/bin/sh" with "#!/bin/bash"

*export oracle environment variables in /etc/profile
adding blank line end
then /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin/oracle_env.sh in new line, rather then editing .bashrc file

No need to remind you, but for some (like me) who tend to forget: backup
files you edit first and script from [3] is not intended to direct use
without modification (if you are not user rene by a chance).

Sorry, but I can't try this myself as Oracle is to much greedy for the
sys I work on at the moment.

Regards

[3] http://www.jeren.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52