Driver for Canon A1100is

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Tue Jan 5 03:48:31 UTC 2010

much of the time, you can get by with cameras, printers, wireless
routers, etc, never cracking open the supplied CD, and you don't miss much.

in the case of digital cameras, it's usually pretty easy.  the simplest
way is to pop out the flash card, put it in the appropriate card reader
(SD or MMC for your camera) which connects to USB, and the camera files
become available via the  /media mount on your system.  i use digikam to
import the files into its photo database.  digikam can also read raw
formats from canon, nikon, leica (these are the ones i've personally
used) but that's not usually a concern with most point and shoots.
digikam can also directly transfer files off cameras, and i've done it,
but i find the card method easier, and i don't need the camera to be
powered on to transfer pictures.

i have a leica m8 and leica dlux4, both considered somewhat high-end
cameras, and i've never even opened any of the packaged mac/win software
that came with them.  digikam does it for me.  i think i should get a
small refund for sending the mac/win software back!

-rei