Launching Childsplay and Gcompris full screen on Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 01:32:24 UTC 2010

Hi All

I'm trying to get Gcompris and Childsplay to run fullscreen on UNR.

The default launcher entries start both programs in a window which is
too high for the netbook 1024x600 screen.

I have determined that if I launch Gcompris from a terminal with -xf
arguments it works correctly.  Similarly if I launch childsplay with
--fullscreen it works fine too.

What I can't figure out is how to edit those launchers in UNR.

I changed the Exec= line
in /usr/share/app-install/desktop/gcompris.desktop to read
  Exec=gcompris -xf
and it works.

But changing the childsplay.desktop file in the same folder to
Exec=childsplay --fullscreen doesn't work. ???

I don't understand why one works and not the other, and I have a
suspicison I'm working with the wrong files anyway. Where are the per
user level changes to the UNR launcher entries?

Comments appreciated,

Brian