Gnome text editor with Kate features

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:19:18 UTC 2010

On 17 February 2010 18:05, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone please recommend a Gnome text editor with a built in file
>> browser for browsing remote servers' file systems and tools such as
>> TidHTML built in? Gedit has neither of these features. I use VIM
>> occasionally, but it lacks the file browser and has some other quirks.
>
> I'm surprised you say file browsing isn't available in vim.
> (Quirks? yeah, vim has quirks :-)

Well, one could browse to a file but I meant to actually leave the
browser open and edit text. See these Kate examples:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/files/images/kate.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Kate-screenshot.png

> gvim uses the standard gnome file browsing dialogs - does that not do
> what you want?
>
> For terminal work, open the directory not the file.
> e.g.
>  vim ~/
>
> or even (a personal favourite)
>  vim scp://host.example.org/home/user/
>
>  :help netrw
> for more

Again, those just opens files.

> For a permanent file tree on the side (or wherever)
> I'm using the oldfashioned windowmanager plugin -
>  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=95
>
> I think most people these days are using NERD_Tree
>  http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1658
>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/30496122@N07/2862367534/sizes/o/
>
> </end vim fanboy defending the one true $EDITOR>

This looks great! Tell me, can one open a file in the file browser in
new tab pages? (the -p option)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.