Gnome text editor with Kate features

Brian McKee brian.mckee at
Wed Feb 17 16:05:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at> wrote:
> Can someone please recommend a Gnome text editor with a built in file
> browser for browsing remote servers' file systems and tools such as
> TidHTML built in? Gedit has neither of these features. I use VIM
> occasionally, but it lacks the file browser and has some other quirks.

I'm surprised you say file browsing isn't available in vim.
(Quirks? yeah, vim has quirks :-)

gvim uses the standard gnome file browsing dialogs - does that not do
what you want?

For terminal work, open the directory not the file.
 vim ~/

or even (a personal favourite)
 vim scp://

 :help netrw
for more

For a permanent file tree on the side (or wherever)
I'm using the oldfashioned windowmanager plugin -

I think most people these days are using NERD_Tree

</end vim fanboy defending the one true $EDITOR>