help with the recovery of a head crash with a MS ntfs file system.

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 12:34:25 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 04:55, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
>> <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

>>> No. You want the software to skip errors, not abort on them.
>>
>> I've had some time to look into dd_rescue (caveat I have NOT used it
>> myself, only read the info I could find on it) and it looks like a
>> better option than dd.  It also seems to allow you to read a
>> filesystem backwards, which could also be useful, perhaps, in some
>> way??
>>
>> Looks interesting though... I'll have to play with this some.  Amedee
>> makes a good point about skipping over errors and not exiting on them.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jeff
>
> This seems to be a great page and a quick read.
> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd_rescue
> dd_rhelp looks really good also. I also have not tried it yet. I am
> working on setting up ssh right now from this page:
> http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1165

After some more looking I found that dd_rescue is not the same as
ddrecscue! dd_rescue and rhelp and the older brother of the new
ddrescure (all new code).

So what I am now doing from the live cd.

sudo aptitude install sshfs
sudo adduser ubuntu fuse
sudo mkdir mnt/remote
sudo sshfs -o idmap=user douglas4 at 192.168.2.100/:download /mnt/remote
#you get the address with ficonfig!
sudo ddrescue /dev/sda /mnt/remote/HDfile /mnt/remote/HDlog

And now it is happily working away. I wonder how long this 40gb drive will take?
After that I will make a duplicate backup on the remote computer and
work on the backup to see what I can extract, likely with that
photoextract program. ?

Thanks all and hope this little log helps someone. Finding all the
answers in one place was not possible. Will post more as it goes. Hope
to hear from anyone with more ideas or help!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.