help with the recovery of a head crash with a MS ntfs file system.

Knapp magick.crow at
Fri Feb 12 21:19:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff at> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 04:55, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
> <amedee-ubuntu at> wrote:
>>> What?
>>> Anyway, aborting on read errors is good right? Because the software
>>> does not get stuck there looking over and over at the error?
>> No. You want the software to skip errors, not abort on them.
> I've had some time to look into dd_rescue (caveat I have NOT used it
> myself, only read the info I could find on it) and it looks like a
> better option than dd.  It also seems to allow you to read a
> filesystem backwards, which could also be useful, perhaps, in some
> way??
> Looks interesting though... I'll have to play with this some.  Amedee
> makes a good point about skipping over errors and not exiting on them.
> Cheers
> Jeff

This seems to be a great page and a quick read.
dd_rhelp looks really good also. I also have not tried it yet. I am
working on setting up ssh right now from this page:

Thanks all.
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.