basic - continued

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Feb 11 18:46:28 UTC 2010

Knapp wrote:
>> I loved PASCAL. A fine structured programming langauge. And I was
>> very impressed by MINIX. I had Tannenbaum's book on MINIX way
>> back when. Thought it was very cool.
>>

> You do know that Pascal is only for learning and was never meant
> for real programming. You were supposed to switch to Modula 2 after
>  learning the basics with Pascal but of course people never got
> that bit of it.

Yes thanks. I had a nice chat with Wirth about Pascal & Modula-2 when
he visited Aerojet General in San Diego in 1986. I read up on Oberon
in the 90s, but never did any programming in it.

I should have broken the two observation into seperate paragraphs. I
was referring to MINIX when I said I thought it was "very cool".
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk