Interesting read about the future of Ubuntu

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Dec 30 16:49:11 UTC 2010

On Thursday 30 December 2010 03:50:17 pm Boggess Rod wrote:
> I think you might be overlooking the primary issue here with the change
> to unity. Namely, the disruption is going to be the change to GNOME 3.x
> and the GNOME Shell. From what I've read, Unity Shell and GNOME Shell
> both run on GNOME 3.x. But changing from a desktop to a shell is going
> to be vastly different.

Frm what I read, and completely different from KDE3/KDE4, Gnome Shell should
be implemented in a way that let's you use the desktop if you decide to ditch
the shell. Now, of course, I have never tried that.

I never tried Unity, and only read about Gnome Shell. It did not look like I
might like it, but I'll have to try.

>The better solution might be to simply skip 11.04 and wait for 12. By
>then, they'll either have it worked out or decide the shell concept is a
>bust.

Not sure. I've been waiting *very* long with KDE 4 and they did neither work
it out nor ditch it. I don't trust the Gnome develeopers more than the KDE
devs.

Thierry