Has the Code Of Conduct changed? ...again?

Boggess Rod rboggess at tenovacore.com
Mon Dec 20 17:49:52 UTC 2010

>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:03:25 +0000
>From: Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>
>Subject: Re: Has the Code Of Conduct changed? ...again?
>To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
>	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
>On 20 December 2010 14:59, Boggess Rod <rboggess at tenovacore.com> wrote:
>>>------------------------------
>>>
>>>To make sure that you and I are seeing things in the same light, one
>>>cannot be a "member[s] of this list[s]" unless you subscribe to
>>>this/these [Ubuntu] list[s] and are accepted as a subscriber.
>>>
>>>You cannot suddenly post to this list, for example, unless you first
>>>subscribe to it.
>>>
>>>This list is a not a *public* list such as a Usenet newsgroup.
>>>
>>>When you subscribe to this mail list you are (may be) given
permission
>>>to access this list, which is also moderated by someone like Alan
Pope.

>>>This list has rules to be followed, unlike the Usenet newsgroups.
>>>
>>>And in any case, I see no connection with what is happening here with
>>>what "the U.S. govt [is] trying to force its laws....". Can you see
>> some
>>>connection between the two situations which I fail to see?
>>>
>>>BC
>>>
>>>--
>>>"Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die."
>>>

>>>------------------------------
>>
>> I'm still catching up on email, so someone may have already pointed
this
>> out, but you're incorrect.
>
>Which is incorrect?  The going to heaven or not wanting to die?
>
>Colin

:-) I'm trying to avoid feeding the trolls, here, so bear with me.

>>>To make sure that you and I are seeing things in the same light, one
>>>cannot be a "member[s] of this list[s]" unless you subscribe to
>>>this/these [Ubuntu] list[s] and are accepted as a subscriber.

This statement is in non-agreement with the automated reply received
when a non-subscriber posts a message to this list. (Surely you have a
second email address; post a message to the ubuntu-users address from
your other email address and see what you get back.) The automated reply
indicates something to the effect that your post will be reviewed by a
moderator which may result in a delayed response. The automated response
doesn't even suggest subscribing. However, since I was already
subscribed (under a different, older but aliased email address), I
updated my email address and posts went through without delay. Of
course, my original posts under the other email never made it through,
so I assume the automated response is invalid. I doubt anyone is
moderating this list anymore. If they were, I suspect that some
incorrigible trolls and spammers would be removed.

However, I mention this because I'm suspicious that the code of conduct
is written just the way it is because the list was intended to be open
to posts from non-subscribers. Something to think about (and resolve)
before updating the CoC.