Has the Code Of Conduct changed? ...again?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:51:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:59:20 -0500
"Boggess Rod" <rboggess at tenovacore.com> wrote:

> I'm still catching up on email, so someone may have already pointed
> this out, but you're incorrect. This list is quasi-public.
> Non-subscribers can post, but they're moderated (pre-screened) first.
> Subscriber posts are unmoderated. (I discovered this when I tried to
> post and my reply-to address didn't match my subscriber address.)
> Personally, I find this odd, since I don't know how a non-member
> poster will receive a reply to a question, but that's what the
> automated reply said when I did post as a non-member. If this is
> incorrect, then the automated reply should be updated to reflect the
> change of policy.
[snipped]

I think there are two issues here: 1)Has the Code of Conduct Changed?
and 2)Are There Rules of the List which Subscribers Are Required To
Follow?  There then follows the question: Have We Sufficient Moderators
to ensure That Rules of the List are followed? and also How Does One
Become A List Moderator?

Signing up to a list should include Signing Up To Rules Of The List, as
amended from time to time by the Moderators, and Moderators should make
sure that they are aware of decisions they have made which could affect
Rules Of The List.  However, acceptance of the C. of C. should be a
prerequisite for any individual, and should be incorporated into the
Rules Of The List, and should by overtly accepted by any individual on
joining the list.

You surprise me when you say non-members (of the list) can post here.
On the occasions when I have posted from the wrong email address, I
have always received a reply to the effect that registered members can
post but you message will be held until a Moderator can review it.  I
thought that the time "on hold" would be for me to Register and thus
have my posts accepted in the future.  Perhaps this was to enable
Moderators to allow posts they thought were relevant?  I, for one,
think those who have *not* Registered should be told they can't post
here until and unless they Register.

However, this requires us having enough Moderators of the required
quality, so we need the process by which they're selected as
transparent as possible to allow more people to be encouraged to become
Moderators.

--
Graham Todd