Has the Code Of Conduct changed? ...again?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Tue Dec 21 16:37:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, December 20, 2010 18:49, Boggess Rod wrote:

> This statement is in non-agreement with the automated reply received
> when a non-subscriber posts a message to this list. (Surely you have a
> second email address; post a message to the ubuntu-users address from
> your other email address and see what you get back.) The automated reply
> indicates something to the effect that your post will be reviewed by a
> moderator which may result in a delayed response. The automated response
> doesn't even suggest subscribing. However, since I was already
> subscribed (under a different, older but aliased email address), I
> updated my email address and posts went through without delay. Of
> course, my original posts under the other email never made it through,
> so I assume the automated response is invalid. I doubt anyone is
> moderating this list anymore. If they were, I suspect that some
> incorrigible trolls and spammers would be removed.
>
> However, I mention this because I'm suspicious that the code of conduct
> is written just the way it is because the list was intended to be open
> to posts from non-subscribers. Something to think about (and resolve)
> before updating the CoC.

That autoreply is just a built-in message from the mailing list software.
No list that I have ever been on or managed myself, has ever bothered with
posts from non-subscribers. Assuming the simplest answer, I think that
this list has never had an intentional review process for unsubscribed
users. That's just too much overhead for something that should be obvious
for people that have been on the net for 20 years or more.

The problem is that the last few years there has been an influx of people
who are not familiar with the internet, and who don't know the "lore of
the land". Apparently these people seem to need strict, almost legal
rules. I find that very tiresome. Why can't they just act normal, like
everybody else has done for the last 20 years?

For the record: I've been online and on mailing lists since summer 1995.
By that time I had already looked over the shoulders of friends for almost
a year. I learned by watching, not by rules.

Kind regards,
Amedee