8.04 to 10.04 dist upgrade

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Aug 29 17:06:20 UTC 2010

Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/29/2010 09:20 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend to change from grub legacy
> > to grub2 due to the problems discussed on launchpad [1] and
> > slashdot [2].
>
> Nils, yes, I am aware of other reports as well in launchpad about
> this problem as well, especially about the recovery console for Dell
> overriding mbr. However Vic reported he can only boot into 1 OS, and
> not having a total boot failure. So it shouldn't be the problem that
> you've linked or the dell recovery overriding the mbr.

Right, I don't assume, that Vics problem is the same as mentioned in the
bug report. But due to the grub2 problem I wouldn't suggest to move to
grub2 from grub legacy. It may lead to an even worse situation than it
is now, i.e. an unbootable machine. I don't say that using grub2 is
wrong, but the system was working before the upgrade and therefore it
should also work now with the previously used grub version. But I do
acknowledge that moving to grub2 should at least find the Windows
partition and make an entry in the boot menu.

To me the problem has two parts. It doesn't run the display manager but
instead comes up in terminal mode. And that is a situation where I don't
know what to suggest. Second, it is now a single boot machine which can
probably be repaired with the help of [1] (section "What if Grub Legacy
misses Windows" or "What if Grub 2 does not list Windows").

> Not to sound aggressive, and I really mean to find out, do you
> yourself have the dell/mbr change problem and are you using
> grub-legacy to avoid this issue?

No, it doesn't sound aggressive to me. And I don't have a Dell or HP
machine and I also don't use that Adobe DRM software in Windows,
therefore I don't have the problem myself.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows>