8.04 to 10.04 dist upgrade

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Aug 29 15:46:48 UTC 2010

On 08/29/2010 09:20 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend to change from grub legacy to
> grub2 due to the problems discussed on launchpad [1] and slashdot [2].

Nils, yes, I am aware of other reports as well in launchpad about this
problem as well, especially about the recovery console for Dell
overriding mbr. However Vic reported he can only boot into 1 OS, and not
having a total boot failure. So it shouldn't be the problem that you've
linked or the dell recovery overriding the mbr.

I was wondering about the proportion of users having these (Dell/mbr
change) problems, not mistaking other installation or user errors like
Vic most probably has.

Not to sound aggressive, and I really mean to find out, do you yourself
have the dell/mbr change problem and are you using grub-legacy to avoid
this issue? I believe there are one or two people on this list having
this problem some time back but so far we've not heard anything since.
If there are others here having this (dell/mbr change) grub2 issue, it
would good to hear from them as well.

Nils, again not to sound corny, and I really mean it, I've always
appreciated your input and help in the past (delete .kde, syslink and
several others) and I look forward to your continued support.

Regards  Grüße - Goh Lip