This used to be a great list

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 25 07:51:55 UTC 2010

On 25/08/2010 04:43, daniel mcfarland wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com
> <mailto:jordon at envygeeks.com>> wrote:
>
>      On 8/24/2010 12:50 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>     > On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 10:23 -0700, daniel mcfarland wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >>    I disagree.  This has never been a good list.
>     > I haven't seen anyone go begging for assistance on this list.
>     Ever. Ric
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     I have to agree, most of what this list contains is simplistic issues
>     and opinion searches.
>
>     --
>

>   I agree.  I'd wager that about 99.999999% of these topics and
> questions could be answered
>   just by doing a bit of googling.
>
>   IMHO, it would probably be more productive to teach the people that
> ask these questions
>   how to google rather than to propagate the idiocy of asking when you
> should be looking.
>
>   whatever.

Some comments.

Why have a user help mail list if one is supposed to simply "google" for
the information?

How do you think "google" gets the information for you to "google" in
the first place? Someone is employed at "google" to come up with answers
to all sorts of theoretical questions in anticipation of someone trying
to "google" for this information?

The other thing is, one doesn't always know what wording one should use
for the search.

And the last thing is that asking a question in a mail list such as this
one often not only solves the problem I just mentioned in the paragraph
above (because one can express oneself better in a sentence about the
problem rather than just using a few words), and get a response, often
within minutes, but it also provides other members of the mail list with
information which they may have not even thought about.

BC

--
Gumperson's Law: The probability of anything happening is in
inverse proportion to its desirability.