grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Apr 30 12:40:54 UTC 2010

On 04/30/2010 08:09 PM, Goh Lip wrote:

> Bob, the syslinks, vmlinuz and initrd.img are indeed in '/' and are
> linked from the kernel in /boot. But /vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic
>    and /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic *are* the kernel and initrd and they
> are in /boot. So the UUID should be referring to /boot. Try amending the
> UUID to /boot and see if it works.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Just some casual notes, (sent separately so as not to dilute or confuse
the main point)

o Booting from root=LABEL=<labelname> will work fine too instead of
root=UUID=75015d64-51cb-4975-a11f-f6ebc2d48. I use this , if need be, as
to prevent wrong copying and typing of UUID numbers.

o If root and UUID are both pointed to '/' instead of /boot,(but your
(hd0,5) is /boot, Bob, watch for it), the lines
'kernel /vmlinuz ro ' and
'initrd  /initrd.img' can be used

instead of
'kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic' and
'initrd        /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic'

as the former refer to the syslinks in '/'
and the latter refer to the actual kernel and initrd.img in /boot.

o The latest initrm (in RC lucid) also generates syslinks vmlinuz.old
and initrd.img.old at '/' which will boot up the older kernel. Tested
and works.

Regards - Goh Lip