grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Apr 30 12:09:18 UTC 2010

On 04/30/2010 03:24 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Goh Lip wrote:
>
>> On 04/30/2010 09:52 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>>> Yes, it's my usual practice to use separate partitions for /, /boot, and
>>> /home. The UUID refers to the / partition.
>>
>> *IMPORTANT*
>> Bob, please check...
>> the UUID should be for the /boot partition
>
> The root partitions for the 8.04 and Debian installations have links to
> boot/initrd.img-2.6.xxxxxxxxx and  boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xxxxxxxxxx. I
> mounted the 9.04 root partition (/dev/sda8) using the live CD and the
> links are present there. I think I referred to this in a previous post
> which you may not have seen.
>
> Unless I'm totally screwed up, the root UUID seems to be the correct one
> to use. Has this changed with a later release?

Bob, the syslinks, vmlinuz and initrd.img are indeed in '/' and are
linked from the kernel in /boot. But /vmlinuz-2.6.28-18-generic
  and /initrd.img-2.6.28-18-generic *are* the kernel and initrd and they
are in /boot. So the UUID should be referring to /boot. Try amending the
UUID to /boot and see if it works.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.