Preinstall user running both Karmic and Lucid - Lenovo Ideapad S12 from Linux Emporium

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:22:06 UTC 2010

On 04/30/2010 12:01 AM, Alex Cockell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am a basic user of a preinstalled Lenovo Ideapad S12 with partitions
> for both 9.10 (currently running - although waiting a week before
> accepting the latest kernel updates that appeared in Update Manager - in
> case something breaks) and 10.04 - I believe Linux Emporium told me it
> was a beta at the time.  Obviously, as a basic preinstall user, I am
> concerned when I read about all the incidents being logged and talked
> about on this and other lists re the latest version of the Ubuntu
> operating environment.
>
> My question is - when would it be safe for me to boot my Lucid instance
> and accept all the system updates... and not risk having to send the
> machine back to Birmingham to be fixed.. and be without a PC for a
> while?
>
> What advice can be offered to us who are end-users?  In the Windows
> world, I would probably wait until after Service Pack 1 had come out.
> Should I wait until after Ubuntu 10.04 "Service Pack 1" is released
> before effecting the move?
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Alex

         The real question you should ask is: What do I use this
computer for? As a simple answer, what if you use it for Internet Email
and playing Solitaire. In this case you can do both with version 9.10
and I am telling you that email and Solitaire are no better on 10.04. So
an update to 10.04 is wasted effort.

     If your a nut like me you want to try a new version just because. I
loaded 10.04 and it has been good. But I also proved to my self that
Version 8.04 is still a fine system I use sometimes.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User