Terminal window

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 24 06:03:55 UTC 2010

On 18/04/10 06:46, Luis Paulo wrote:
> Basil:
> You're right, you can't see the full line.
> You may use ps aux|less
> My point being do you really need to use the VT?
> But Hey, why not.
>
> Liam:
> I've changed /etc/default/grub, GRUB_GFXMODE=720x450, update-grub
> I have now 720x450 on grub, VT are the same 25 lines.
> Maybe you did something else?
>
> * VT's being the /dev/ttyN, CTRL-ALT-FN.
>

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 17/04/10 20:36, Luis Paulo wrote:
>     > Right, it does not. Didn't get it.
>     >
>     > So you are now trying to change the "virtual terminal"?
>     > I will not ask why. :)
>
>     Am not sure about the "virtual terminal" but what I do want to have
>     control over is the screen which comes up when you press CTRL-ALT-F3,
>     for example.
>
>     Why am I trying to get control over it?
>
>     Do CTRL-ALT-F3, login (you'll be root - so be careful!) then type in
>     [without quotes] "ps aux" <Enter>. (To get back to your normal
>     Desktop,
>     press CTRL-ALT-F7.)
>
>     Now what do you see? Can you read a single line from beginning to the
>     end? No. The damn font is too damn big.
>
>     On the other distro I used, the font was the same about the size of
>     Dejavu Sans #10.
>
>     If the other distro can do it why not Ubuntu?
>
>     BC

Catching up with things which is why this response is so far apart from
the original post (above)......

When the system hangs it becomes not possible to start a terminal in
either KDE or Gnome and the only way (unless the keyboard is also
frozen) is to CTRL-ALT-F3 to get a terminal where you can do ps aux and
then KILL the pid which may be causing the system to hang. It is this or
the big Red Button - and I prefer the C-A-F3 way first.

Re the other part: I, too, cannot alter the actual font in the terminal
even though setting the screen size (to 1920X1080 in my case) is not
rejected.

(A request: please do not top-post. It makes replying to messages so
much more difficult - as you can see from this message: what I am
responding to is at the very top.)

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei