Video has lost color. Ubuntu 8.04

Ted Hilts ehilts at mcsnet.ca
Tue Apr 6 02:33:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 21:32 -0500, Tuxman wrote:
> All videos now play in B&W from all players.
>
> DVDs in the optical drive, and AVI and MKV files are in B&W. Mplayer,
> VLC, and MoviePlayer are B&W.
>
> Everything else is normal, thumbnails of videos included.
>
> I suspect a recent change I made has caused this, but don't know where
> to point.
> I recently installed just about very video editing and DVD authoring
> program trying to learn what to use for a niece's school project. I
> didn't notice the change when it happened, and I've forgotten the
> changes I made.
>
> I searched in Synaptic for all of the installed video codecs I could
> find, and reinstalled all the suspects, but that hasn't helped.
>
> This is an old install of 8.04, and I'll installing 10.04 in several
> months, so I can wait if needed, but I would like to know the culprit.
>

> Thanks

Tuxman

You said that the thumbnails were normal which I took to mean they
displayed in colours.  But you should check your monitor by using
another if you have one. It's unlikely your monitor but check if you
can.

Try messing about with options associated with your thumbnails if you
have that capability -- like changing them on and off, size, or any
other options that relate to screen issues. Did you shut down your
system and bring it up again.  You might also try to install another
application that involves use of your video stuff.  Don't get rid of
anything just install and use an alternative if you can. Sometimes
people have a problem with Linux and if they shut down and do a cold
restart the problem disappears. So don't do anything unless you are sure
you have done a cold restart (starting from a dead system).

Hope your problem goes away -- Ted.