Video has lost color. Ubuntu 8.04

Tuxman tuxman at
Tue Apr 6 17:06:05 UTC 2010

Ted Hilts wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 21:32 -0500, Tuxman wrote:
>> All videos now play in B&W from all players.
>> DVDs in the optical drive, and AVI and MKV files are in B&W. Mplayer, 
>> VLC, and MoviePlayer are B&W.
>> Everything else is normal, thumbnails of videos included.
>> I suspect a recent change I made has caused this, but don't know where 
>> to point.
>> I recently installed just about very video editing and DVD authoring 
>> program trying to learn what to use for a niece's school project. I 
>> didn't notice the change when it happened, and I've forgotten the 
>> changes I made.
>> I searched in Synaptic for all of the installed video codecs I could 
>> find, and reinstalled all the suspects, but that hasn't helped.
>> This is an old install of 8.04, and I'll installing 10.04 in several 
>> months, so I can wait if needed, but I would like to know the culprit.
>> Thanks
> Tuxman
> You said that the thumbnails were normal which I took to mean they
> displayed in colours.  But you should check your monitor by using
> another if you have one. It's unlikely your monitor but check if you
> can.
> Try messing about with options associated with your thumbnails if you
> have that capability -- like changing them on and off, size, or any
> other options that relate to screen issues. Did you shut down your
> system and bring it up again.  You might also try to install another
> application that involves use of your video stuff.  Don't get rid of
> anything just install and use an alternative if you can. Sometimes
> people have a problem with Linux and if they shut down and do a cold
> restart the problem disappears. So don't do anything unless you are sure
> you have done a cold restart (starting from a dead system).  
> Hope your problem goes away -- Ted.
A restart was the first thing I did, and nothing changed. Old Windows habits die hard.

But, after I re-installed all the codecs I didn't restart. Reading your response reminded me of this, so I gave it a try, and now everything works fine.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list