[ubuntu users] How to get more work spaces--Question 1

James Michael Fultz croooow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 06:09:43 UTC 2009

* Ted Hilts <thilts at mcsnet.ca> [2009-09-29 21:57 -0600]:
>James Michael Fultz wrote:
[...]
>> The following command works here on 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope using
>> Compiz:
>>
>> $ gconftool-2 -t int -s /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/hsize 7
>>
>> Presumably, the following would apply if Metacity is used as the
>> window manager:
>>
>> $ gconftool-2 -t int -s /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 7
>>
>[...] You seem to be saying that somehow gconftool-2 can be
>somehow linked to a web site having a special windows manager
>and that combination can be directly used to define the number
>of work spaces on my machine.  If I understand you  then this is
>very new way of doing things--for me anyway.
>
>Thanks very much for taking the time to give me these examples.

gconftool-2 interfaces to the local GConf daemon which manages
the local GConf database.  For each user, that user's settings
are stored in under the directory '~/.gconf'.  The pathnames used
in the gconftool-2 examples I provided are GConf's way of
referencing keys stored in the database -- not literal paths on a
filesystem of Web store.  So, no, no Web site is involved.  This
is (probably better) explained in the manual for gconftool-2.
Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.