home network through router

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Wed Sep 23 13:36:33 UTC 2009

Paul S wrote:
> New to home networking.
>
> I have a recent belkin-n router and two laptops.  Each laptop is running
> 9.04.  One is connected to the router through and eth0 network cable.
> The other is using a recent ralink usb wifi.
>
> Each laptop is able to access the internet through the router's
> connection to my cable modem.
>
> The router DNS table shows each laptop's connection device and assigned
> ip address 192.168.2.3 to the wifi and ip address
> 192.168.2.2 to the eth0 cable.
>
> I want to share some folders between the laptops.
>
> I've looked in the router configuration and manual and don't find any
> reference to setting up file sharing.
>
> I've looked through ubuntu documentation and have followed the steps in
> the help guide:
>
> Help > Internet & Networks > 8. Home Networks, and followed those
> instruction on installing nfs and setting up a shared folder.
>
> But I don't get anything (other than the dummy windows-shares) showing
> up in Places > Network
>
> After googling, I get so many hits that I can't figure out what to
> follow.  Can someone knowledgable in such a network point me to the
> correct howto?
>
> TIA

Assumming Ubuntu Desktop (mine is 9.04)

If you want simple file sharing between the two systems then right click
on the folders you want to share and click "Sharing Options..."  This
will prompt you to install 2 packages.  Enter the admin password and
restart your session.  Do this on both systems and you should see the
systems under Places->Network and look for the PC name.

If you are looking for sftp via ssh then let us know, it to is fairly
simple.

If you want to share via nfs, this too can be done fairly easily.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."