home network through router

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:20:42 UTC 2009

New to home networking.

I have a recent belkin-n router and two laptops.  Each laptop is running
9.04.  One is connected to the router through and eth0 network cable.
The other is using a recent ralink usb wifi.

Each laptop is able to access the internet through the router's
connection to my cable modem.

The router DNS table shows each laptop's connection device and assigned
ip address 192.168.2.3 to the wifi and ip address
192.168.2.2 to the eth0 cable.

I want to share some folders between the laptops.

I've looked in the router configuration and manual and don't find any
reference to setting up file sharing.

I've looked through ubuntu documentation and have followed the steps in
the help guide:

Help > Internet & Networks > 8. Home Networks, and followed those
instruction on installing nfs and setting up a shared folder.

But I don't get anything (other than the dummy windows-shares) showing
up in Places > Network

After googling, I get so many hits that I can't figure out what to
follow.  Can someone knowledgable in such a network point me to the
correct howto?

TIA