Good Idea for new users

Fri Oct 30 14:34:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:11:40 -0700 (PDT)
Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) it is not.

You are telling us (and, more importantly, people who haven't done it)
that a system does not work as designed or advertised, and it is
therefore advisable to avoid it.

That *is* fud. Certainly in the eyes of those people who have made good
use of the system.

I have a desktop that's not had a fresh install since 6.10, a laptop
that's derived from 7.04, a few PCs for which I've lost track and
several servers running debian without rebuild for two to five years.
In-place upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, are and should be the norm.
I'm certainly not going to do a fresh install every six months.

The upgrade mechanism does work in the vast majority of cases, and if
it doesn't in yours I cannot implore you enough to please report the
bugs and the problems you have so they can be fixed. It should work, it
can work, and if there are issues remaining I'd suggest it's mostly
because people encounter them and do not pass the reports upstream to
be fixed.

If you don't tell the developers that it doesn't work in your use case,
they're not going to fix it.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)