Older pc compatibility question

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 26 19:08:36 UTC 2009

On 10/25/2009 08:04 PM, mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a older pc that looks to have finally started to bite the dust
> (5 years old).
>
> It has a 160 gig hard drive..512 of ram processor is a Athlon XP
> 3200+ / 2.2 GHz
>
> Well in trying to install ubuntu I get this "This kernal requires an
> x86-64 but only detected an i686..."

You have a 32bit processor, so you'll need to use the 32bit version.

> It sounds like I need k7 but I'm just new to this so where can one
> find it. It looks like its version 6.06LTS I see this here
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7 but I'm
> not sure how to make the kernel appear after installation given the
> hookup that exists.

You don't install just the kernel & Dapper (Desktop version) has reached
End-of-Life (EOL) - see: .
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions#Releases%20and%20Version%20Numbers>

> Any help would be nice. Thanks

Start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GettingUbuntu
Follow the instruction in "Download the Live Desktop CD" - select the
32bit version.

Follow the installation instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

You might wish to bookmark & review these:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
https://help.ubuntu.com/
  https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/index.html

There is also a good pocketguide that you can download for free in pdf
format (please consider purchasing the print edition if it's helpful to
you):
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
  http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/faq.html