Partition works ok...but now wireless internet

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Thu Oct 15 16:03:01 UTC 2009

mdovell at comcast.net wrote:

> Yeah I know full of questions. Basically I set aside 30 gigs for
> ubuntu and so far so good. I was just wondering if there is some other
> software for the wireless internet. At my campus we have one of the
> largest wifi areas of the state (doesn't mean its the fastest just
> that it's widespread). I can get online with windows with no problem.
> With ubuntu it doesn't seem to be that simple. There's a cisco program
> that is being used that has support for windows (xp/vista), apple
> (macs) and iphones. I just get the feeling on this one it isn't so
> much the hardware but the software. It's a Intel pro/wireless 3945abg
> network. Within windows it has some more advanced settings with power
> and range. Wired internet is no problem at all it's not even a few
> seconds its that fast. Here's some of what the settings seem to be.
>
> WPA2 authorization
>
> EAS encryption
>
> Protected type EAP-mschave 2 I just think something is a bit up given
> the the differences in performance and yet there's no difference in
> hardware.

Continue to try things; however, it sounds like you have a similar
situation as a local University here.  The entire university has
wireless access, including public access, through a Cisco AP solution.
We have talked directly with the head of the IT department which
supports the AP.  Their solution supports /only/ Windows and Mac.  When
asked about Linux they said "No" because of security reasons.  If your
network is similar then you may be SOL.

Check out Sounder, I think I'll start an OT discussion on this...

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."