Partition works ok...but now wireless internet

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 15 18:21:33 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 09:03 AM, Fred Roller wrote:
> mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> Yeah I know full of questions. Basically I set aside 30 gigs for
>> ubuntu and so far so good. I was just wondering if there is some other
>> software for the wireless internet. At my campus we have one of the
>> largest wifi areas of the state (doesn't mean its the fastest just
>> that it's widespread). I can get online with windows with no problem.
>> With ubuntu it doesn't seem to be that simple. There's a cisco program
>> that is being used that has support for windows (xp/vista), apple
>> (macs) and iphones. I just get the feeling on this one it isn't so
>> much the hardware but the software. It's a Intel pro/wireless 3945abg
>> network. Within windows it has some more advanced settings with power
>> and range. Wired internet is no problem at all it's not even a few
>> seconds its that fast. Here's some of what the settings seem to be.
>>
>> WPA2 authorization
>>
>> EAS encryption
>>
>> Protected type EAP-mschave 2 I just think something is a bit up given
>> the the differences in performance and yet there's no difference in
>> hardware.
>>
> Continue to try things; however, it sounds like you have a similar
> situation as a local University here.  The entire university has
> wireless access, including public access, through a Cisco AP solution.
> We have talked directly with the head of the IT department which
> supports the AP.  Their solution supports /only/ Windows and Mac.  When
> asked about Linux they said "No" because of security reasons.  If your
> network is similar then you may be SOL.
>
> Check out Sounder, I think I'll start an OT discussion on this...

As Leonard suggested, try wicd (be sure to also install wpasupplicant).
wicd have options for:
WPA 1/2 (Passphrase)
WPA 1/2 (Preshared Key)
WEP (Hex [0-9/A-F])
WEP (Passphrase)
WEP Shared/Restricted
LEAP with WEP
TTLS with WEP
EAP-FAST
PEAP with GTC
PEAP with TKIP/MSCHAPV2
EAP-TLS

Maybe of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/+bug/34982
[Please apply the EAP-FAST from the wpasupplicant source - openssl package]

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/261804
[wicd unable to connect to EAP-FAST wireless network - Fix released]