Serious GRUB booting problem after install Ubuntu 9.10beta for testing it.

Joseph Cooper josephcooper3 at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 08:00:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com>wrote:

> As NoOp wisely wrote, threads ago, most of the users (like myself)
> will not care to Read The .... Manual before installing Karmic with
> another OS, and will certainly face panic attacks.
>
> Please read this part of (probably outdated) Karmic Release notes:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing
>
> and the Grub manual
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/Manual
>
> And remember that Grub (1 Legacy) (if still working) is very easy to
> recover and Grub2 not so difficult but requires a little bit of
> research.
>
> --
> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
> Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
> 5E42 <http://counter.li.org/%0A5E42> E02F E21D 171B EA82  1876 621D 17EB
> AEBA 4B50

Yes, I suppose I am guilty of this. Where I tripped up is that I wrongly
assumed that my internal hard drive would not be touched by this
installation. I was also surprised to find such a problem in a beta version
of Ubuntu with 2 weeks before final release, I had thought this would be
relatively safe. If this problem is still possible when the final version
comes out I suspect there will be many more who break their system in this
way.