Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was Re: I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Nov 30 23:50:28 UTC 2009

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Mon, November 30, 2009 23:34, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working.  I
>>> will have to restart the system to work again.  This happens
>>> nearly 20 times a day.
>> Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can
>> check this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key
>> from F1 to F6 should work, but for ease of communication and
>> all...). If you get to a text terminal then your computer is not
>> freezing, rather the GUI is locking up. Once it is determined
>> which is actually happening, we can focus on the right area.
>
> *snip*
>
> Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple
> of times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from
> Ctrl+Alt+Fn, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del,
> SysRq combo's,... Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all
> ssh sessions that were open get cut off.
>
> Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already
> eliminated power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible
> causes.

Sounds like your getting down to motherboard. Which is where I am at
on one of my older machines that periodically goes to noddy land for
no good reason.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: CDBaby <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>