Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was Re: I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Nov 30 23:41:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, November 30, 2009 23:34, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:
> [snip]
>>  From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working.  I will
>> have to restart the system to work again.  This happens nearly 20
>> times a day.
>
> Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can check
> this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key from F1 to
> F6 should work, but for ease of communication and all...). If you get to
> a text terminal then your computer is not freezing, rather the GUI is
> locking up. Once it is determined which is actually happening, we can
> focus on the right area.

*snip*

Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple of
times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del, SysRq combo's,...
Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all ssh sessions that were
open get cut off.

Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already eliminated
power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible causes.

--
Amedee