Strange files (probably linux virus?) found in flash drives

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 08:53:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 03:03 +0530, arshad wrote:
> hi all,
> i mounted my flash drive in two different points. and if i access the
> drive through each point i see strange two files in each point. screen
> shot added. please tell me what the problem is:

As a rule... a lot of people here filter their mail based on HTML
content, and size, so by dumping those pictures into the email, you may
have ensured that far fewer people will have read your message. In the
future, try posting your pictures on someplace like imageshack, and just
include a URL in your message explaining what it is. Additionally, the
second image came out as an all black box for me, so it tells me
nothing.

However, it's doubtful that the icon indicated in the first screenshot
is a virus of any kind... it just looks like a launcher icon to open
nautilus (possibly created on another linux computer?). you can verify
by right-clicking it and going to 'properties' check the 'Command' field
under the 'basic' tab, to see what exactly the launcher is intended to
launch...then you can decide weather you want it or not.

as another note: Ubuntu has started having this message pop up for
launcher files that do not currently have executable permissions (for
whatever reason)... Most likely this launcher was created by something,
and the popup is essentially telling you that the file can be executed
(because it's a launcher) but it won't do it automatically, because you
haven't given it permission to do so. If you mark it as 'trusted'
basically all you do is give it executable permission.

Hope that helps

--
Andrew