Strange files (probably linux virus?) found in flash drives

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Nov 19 08:49:16 UTC 2009

arshad wrote:
> i mounted my flash drive in two different points. and if i access the
> drive through each point i see strange two files in each point.
>  screen shot added. please tell me what the problem is:

It sure doesn't look like a Linux virus. A virus would hide itself
inside some other file or make itself look like a "normal" file so you
don't panic but instead execute the file.

About your screenshots:

The file Screenshot.png shows the message of the application launcher
which has found a file with the extension ".desktop". Files with the
extension ".desktop" are meant to be application shortcuts for your
desktop and they include information about the command to start. However
those files don't need to have the executable flag set to start a
program and are therefore potentially dangerous. Some time ago this was
found to be a problem especially if the file was executed by the system
from untrusted locations like USB sticks or email attachments. It looks
like this situation is now handled by the system in a useful manner,
i.e. warning the user. I wouldn't execute that file unless I first
verified with a text editor that the contents of the file is harmless.

I have no idea what the problem might be with the file "Computer" in
your attached Screenshot-1.png.

Nils