etc alternatives craziness

Ed Lazerus edlazerus20 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 23:19:15 UTC 2009

Dear list,

Can someone please tell me how can I disable and prevent this
/etc/alternative mess?
it is cause so many things to not work, many seem to be disabled and links
to non existent files.
Please, I'm not interested in fixing the alternatives stuff, I would like to
know if it can be removed completely so installed softwares work as they
should.

I run Hardy and decided to use a 21st century version of aMSN and not the
old rubbish we have to put up with, I removed amsn and amsn-data, I built
the new aMSN, and run make deb, install with dpkg, all good, until I try run
and it complain about wish (I create symlink so amsn now good) , this is
just one of many things I find not work, so decide alternatives has to go
because I have better things to do then recreate a lot of symlinks.

ciao Eddie