Proper posting procedures

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 17 01:39:41 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 03:00 PM, thomas wrote:

>> You appear to be asking a lot of questions and attaching them to other
>> peoples threads.  May I suggest you start a new thread for each question.
>> It makes it easier to follow as you’ll end up with answers all over the
>> place.

No worries, you'll get it sorted out. Also note that you need to keep
proper attribution to who wrote what. If you notice you'll see that the
above "You appear to be..." was written by Steve. But because you didn't
include the attribution, as in mine of "On 11/16/2009 03:00 PM, thomas
wrote:" we don't know that was written by Steve.

> OK!  I see that my method of posting is creating problems.  I never have
> used the ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com but will from now on.  Apparently
> my way of starting and sending new e/m to friends and others won't work here.
> A couple of people have complained.

Same as when you start a new email; create, send to
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com with a new subject. When you see a thread
(or a response to one in your own thread) then just reply; don't change
the subject etc.

> I have to leave now.  When I come back I will resend all of todays inquiries in
> the proper way.  And, from now on, will use the proper form.  I guess that I am
> a slow learner.  It took me until a couple of days ago to realize just what the
> complaint about me top posting was all about.  I was putting my comments on
> the top - again the method I use in regular e/m.  After learning it seems very
> obvious what top posting was.  I was trying to figure out how I had been
> jumping ahead of others.
<snipped>

You'll be just fine :-) Also have a look at: