why ubuntu 910 boot very slow?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Nov 3 02:08:07 UTC 2009

John Scott wrote:
> At 17 seconds, this SATA RAID setup kicks the snot out of my windows
> startup time on the same system. Of course since this is the first
> non-wubi full install I have done so I have nothing to compare it to.
> I am using essentially the same software that I use on windows. Linux
> is much faster. The memory footprint is much lower. Even my normally
> bogged down Firefox with a zillion extensions is snappy. Whatever
> performance issues there are don't seem to affect my rig, aside from
> crappy wifi performance that is.
Wifi....yes....SLOW!

I tried to install on my HP Pav. with Opteron, SATA, nVidia, and
4G....the 64-bit version. There was a kernel problem, but I don't have
it nailed down yet. I hope to find out tomorrow so I'll have more
specs., but obviously, this shouldn't be happening. As to 9.10, on this
Dell laptop, it's the first time I really like Gnome....have hated it
for years. Further, all I've ever installed on a LOT of systems has been
SUSE and now openSUSE.....YEARS of dedication to SUSE and KDE. This too
might change, if there's a fix for the HP. I have a LOT of clients with
them, so converting them is on hold for how.

Fred

--
Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, so I have more reliable.
I use Linux.