Notebook crashes while adding to docking station

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:56:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat at uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> while putting my notebook into it`s docking station it crushes every time.
> Starting the notebook in docking station or waking it up in there (from RAM)
> works fine. There has been no problem while using it with ubuntu 8.10. Has
> anybody an idea, whats going wrong?

> I am using the nvidia drivers in version 180-44-ubuntu1. During docking the
> network has to change from WLan to wired ethernet.

I certainly don't have any answers for you.  I think it merits a bug
report against the kernel (assuming it actually 'crashes', not just
hangs X or what have you)

I would do the following first though -

Does it happen if you disable wireless before you dock it?
Does it happen if you use nv instead of the nvidia drivers? ( I bet
they ignore your report unless you tell them it happens with nv
running too )
Does it happen if X isn't running when you dock it?

Narrowing things down a bit would likely help track it down.  My guess
is it's related to your nVidia drivers - but I have absolutely no
proof of that.

Brian
--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false