Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon May 25 09:00:49 UTC 2009

Florian Diesch said:

> marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
>
>> Franz Waldmüller said:
>>
>>> marc schrieb:
>>>   > I run kde, mainly. A few days ago I noticed that when I run
>>>   > nautilus in
>>>
>>> try to modify your starter. use this command: nautilus --no-desktop
>>
>> But what happens when nautilus is called from krunner? I can't expect
>> all kde users to do this all the time, and a change can't be made at
>> the system level, as these are multiuser machines. So, this isn't a
>> fix.
>
> Change /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop in gconf

Thanks.

This appear to be a user-level setting. It also seems to work, so it's
good to have a workaround to this bug.

Do you know whether this is an Ubuntu bug or comes from upstream; just so
I know where to raise the bug, since raising it against KDE is unlikely
to prove successful. Thanks.

>> The thing is completely broken in a multiuser system, imo. This should
>> be fixed. It's a bug. And a nasty one.
>
> No.

As I see it, Gnome/Ubuntu have combined the file browser and the desktop,
just like Microsoft did with Windows to huge criticism. Given there's a
option available which would prevent KDE users from experiencing severe
problems, I would expect Ubuntu to be a good citizen and ensure that the
feature is switched off; leaving it on is contrary to the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Namely, this bug contravenes the following:

- Be considerate
- Be respectful
- Be collaborative

This option as categorically against the last rule. It is utterly
inconsiderate to knowingly blast away someone's desktop and leave running
a process that severely and negatively affects the performance of an
entire machine.

--
Best,
Marc