Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon May 25 12:40:28 UTC 2009

marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:

> Florian Diesch said:
>
>> marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:

>>> But what happens when nautilus is called from krunner? I can't expect
>>> all kde users to do this all the time, and a change can't be made at
>>> the system level, as these are multiuser machines. So, this isn't a
>>> fix.
>>
>> Change /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop in gconf
>
> Thanks.
>
> This appear to be a user-level setting. It also seems to work, so it's
> good to have a workaround to this bug.
>
> Do you know whether this is an Ubuntu bug or comes from upstream; just so
> I know where to raise the bug, since raising it against KDE is unlikely
> to prove successful. Thanks.

It not a bug.

>>> The thing is completely broken in a multiuser system, imo. This should
>>> be fixed. It's a bug. And a nasty one.
>>
>> No.
>
> As I see it, Gnome/Ubuntu have combined the file browser and the desktop,
> just like Microsoft did with Windows to huge criticism.

I don't know about Windows. In Gnome the default desktop is a slightly
special view of the folder ~/Desktop so it's reasonable to use
Nautilus here.

Of course you can use any other program that can draw on the root
window instead.

> Given there's a option available which would prevent KDE users from
> experiencing severe problems, I would expect Ubuntu to be a good
> citizen and ensure that the feature is switched off;

Nautilus is designed for the Gnome desktop and so its standard
settings are targeted to Gnome users. And as Gnome users certainly
expect Nautilus to draw the desktop by default, that's the standard
setting. You just have to switch it off if you don't like it - I don't
think that's asking too much.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>