'Tone of the list' discussion

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu May 14 09:30:34 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert said:

> hi,

>> > see the "Inappropriate tone ..." thread, i outlined everything there
>> > and there also was some fruitful discussion on it.
>>
>> I'm asking, in a civil tone, where the details of this meeting might be
>> found. Please don't treat me like a dick and fob me off with a
>> reference to another thread, becuase that's political BS of the highest
>> order.
>>
>> I do object and I want to participate. I want to have my say.
>>
>> Now, could you please provide the details, or does Ubuntu, and so by
>> association Shuttleworth, operate behind closed doors?
>
> the community council steers all aspects of the community, solves
> problems and is the top instance and decision making committee for all
> community related issues. i really wont re-post the full set of links
> here, they are all listed under [1]. the current list moderators asked
> me to do this since they don't have the resources to even remotely take
> care of the list but see that the list got a lot worse over the last
> years and has proven over the past that it cant operate unmoderated and
> apply to the code of conduct at the same time apparently.
>
> ciao
> 	oli
>
> [1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-May/183268.html

I don't believe that anything has been proven. I think this list behaves
like many others I've observed and participated in over the years. Where
there is a common purpose, then things tend to be calm, when there are
divergent options then personalities express themselves; sometimes wods
are spoken.

No amount of moderation - other than full, which would kill the list
completely - will stop that, and I believe that it's naive to believe
otherwise. I mean head-shakingly, goggle-eyed, staring at the floor
naive. But I understand politics too.

Thanks for the link, but I still think that you are being less than
forthcoming with the information. I feel that if you wanted to be fully
inclusive, then you would be willing to provide unambiguous information
about the discussion to be had. For whatever reason, you are not doing
that.

Nevertheless, I'll wade through the multiple links you sent to uncover
the information. It doesn't have to be this hard, you know.

--
Best,
Marc