How can I upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to Jaunty from console?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat May 9 15:34:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, 09 May 2009 23:03:44 +0800
"Daniel.Li" <daniel_li at usish.com> wrote:
> I have installed ubuntu 8.04 server edition, which doesn't have GUI
> interface.
> How can I upgrade ubuntu 8.04 to Jaunty from console?

You can't upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04, this is not supported.
Upgrades are only supported from release to release (8.04 to 8.10, then
8.10 to 9.04, etc), and from an 'LTS' release to the next LTS (that is,
from 6.06 to 8.04 which you have, then from 8.04 to the next LTS which
may well be 10.04).

So you must first upgrade to 8.10, then upgrade again from 8.10 to 9.04.

If you don't have a GUI, update-manager in Jaunty is had a proper
back-end and both a command line and GUI front-end, though I can't
remember the name of the command line command (it's not
'update-manager', this is the GUI front-end).
Also, I am not even sure that the back-end/front-end split was
implemented back then in Ubuntu 8.04, so it's possible the command line
interface was not yet available, in which case... huu, I don't see how
you could upgrade ! :-/
Well, you could still install a GUI temporarily to run the GUI
upgrade-tool, then remove it... not great I know, but should work ! ;-)

Easier if you can, is probably to a fresh install of Jaunty, rather
than upgrading.

I will let other comment on the availability of the command line tool,
with some luck it did exist in 8.04.

--
Vince