lubuntu 8.1 and KDE 4.1

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Sat Mar 7 20:42:23 UTC 2009

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> I do not represent KDE nor Ubuntu / Canonical however as a community
>> member I apologize for the problems caused by including KDE4.1 in
>> end-user software. It was a bad decision, and many people were burned
>> by it.
>>
> This is so true!! I got back to my good old habits and used XFCE to
> allow KDE to become useable, once again. :-(
>
> However there is hope for you and me.
>
> Should you refer to Ubuntu 8.10, then simply upgrade your KDE to 4.21
> and voilĂ , you are there...;-)
>
> Eberhard

Dear All

Thanks for that advice and I have been very active.  I have read a few
forums and found out how to get KDE 4.2.  I now have this - instructions
below for those interested.
This move has done me no good at all.  4.2 either cannot perform the two
simple things I wanted or it is so hidden I have not manged to find it yet.
The two things are:
1) make shortcuts in the panel (what used to be the task bar) to
applications to go next to the K
2) make the panel (what used to be the task bar) vertical left
I now have a third requirement that I cannot do
3) I cannot make a widget remain at the right far right of the panel
(what used to be the task bar)
4) I have also noticed that when applications are open they do not have
a button on the panel (what used to be the task bar)

This is beginning to feel more reminiscent of Windows where simple
functionality was removed in the name of something or other.

I explored this upgrade 8.04 to 8.10 and 4.1 to 4.2 so as to get support
for my all in one.  Now I cannot make simple things happen.

Any help appreciated

frustrated of South Wales
Stephen

How to get upgrade from KDE 4.1 in place of 4.2 in Kubuntu 8.10
(http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2)
1) Remove packages for koffice and plasma
2) Start Adept Installer Add/Remove Software
3) Click Sources > Edit Software Sources.  On the make sure you select
the 3rd tab-Updates make sure the Recommended and the Unsupported
options are selected. Click Close
4) Click Adept (top left) and then chose to Fetch the updated package
list.  KDE 4.2 will be one of those.
5) Install this and anythiing else while you are there
6) Either log out of KDE and log back in or reboot
All done