lubuntu 8.1 and KDE 4.1

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:25:46 UTC 2009

> 1) make shortcuts in the panel (what used to be the task bar) to
> applications to go next to the K

You _can_ do this, at least you could in the KDE 4.2 betas. I will
check when I get home, the wife's machine is KDE 4.2.

> 2) make the panel (what used to be the task bar) vertical left

Also in the betas I tested this and it worked. You have to drag the
button on the _configuration_panel_ not the panel itself. It's a
severe usability issue, I will dig up the bug and post a link. Please
comment on it when I do.

> I now have a third requirement that I cannot do
> 3) I cannot make a widget remain at the right far right of the panel
> (what used to be the task bar)

This is possible, which specific widget?

> 4) I have also noticed that when applications are open they do not have
> a button on the panel (what used to be the task bar)

You can add a task bar. In fact, I suspect that the lack of a task bar
is what is causing your problem [3].

> This is beginning to feel more reminiscent of Windows where simple
> functionality was removed in the name of something or other.

In the name of progress. KDE 3.5 is still maintained, so we cannot
complain. In fact, until only last month, KDE had recommeded that end
users use only KDE 3.5.10, and now they recommend either as per the
user's taste. So nothing was removed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü