Help with dual-boot setup

Barry Pohlman barry.pohlman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 00:58:16 UTC 2009

Jake,

     Out of curiosity why did you use gparted after the install? In the
final step of the setup for ubuntu you will get a report of the install
configuration. In the bottom right you will see an advanced button. If
you click that button you can choose where to install Grub (hd0 = main
hard drive MBR). What seems to be happening with your configuration is
that you targeted the linux partition as having the boot information.
The BIOS cannot boot from anywhere outside of the MBR. The reason that
the cd-rom works is that it can switch over to read the configuration
outside of the MBR.

I know the question asked by most users is not how did my problem happen
it is how do I fix it.... Here is a quick way to fix it....

If you boot into the Ubuntu test disc (not strait install) you should be
presented with an ubuntu desktop. After the desktop boots up open up a
terminal. The icon to launch it is under applications -> Accessories ->
Terminal.

Here are the commands and what they do
    sudo grub                     =  Bring up the grub command line
    find /boot/grub/stage1   =  Finds where the boot information is stored
    root (hd?, ?)                 =  The hd numbers will come from the
above command
    setup (hd0)                   =  hd0 signifies the MBR of your
primary hard drive
    quit                               =  Exit Grub command line
    sudo reboot                  =  Reboot the system

If you are curious or need more explination this is the same steps
needed to restore grub boot loader after you install windows. Windows
will take out the MBR and replace it with its own boot loader...

Hope this helps.

Barry