firestarter startup

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 03:39:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Shawn McCuan <smccuan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But would you, please, explain why do you need the Firestarter GUI front-
> > end being run at each system restart?
> >
> > It is to be used only as a need arises to make changes to your
> > Firestarter iptable scripts. Mostly, as soon as you setup your
> > Firestarter firewall, you just forget about it. It runs silently at the
> > background and does its job for you.
>
> I'm not the original poster, but personally, I like the GUI running so
> that I can see if it's blocking something I hadn't previously planned
> for. Also, even though I've allowed all smb and cups ports as described
> in various tutorials and documentation, firestarter *still* blocks
> access to smb printers. I have to disable it in order to print - and
> doing so w/ the GUI is quick and simple.
>
> -Shawn McCuan
> smccuan at gmail.com

Shawn
That's the same reason I installed it. Just so I could see changes I make or
to see whether or not I get the odd 'visitor' that I wasn't expecting. I've
seen a similar problem with a bittorrent download I started recently - I
allowed the connection to download, but firestarter consistently called it
out as 'blocked'. I did notice the download started immediately upon
stopping firestarter, although I don't know why. If you make any headway
with this, please let me know.

Jack