firestarter startup

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 03:43:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know, I've heard many people complain about Firestarter - it
> doesn't seem to do what people think it should too many times....
>
> May I suggest using ufw/gufw and abandoning Firestarter?
>
> Brian

Brian
I did give ufw/gufw a shot. gufw didn't seem to want to cooperate, so I went
to the CLI to run ufw there. The man page was not as helpful as I would have
liked, and the googling didn't give me much more than start and stop. Since
I was having significant n00b issues with it, I thought it better that I
re-implement my iptables ruleset and run firestarter to see local changes I
made to my home network. I must say that I don't exactly remember what the
nature of the problems were that I had with ufw/gufw, only that they seemed
like undue complication for what ufw / gufw actually do. Maybe I'll give it
another go and fire a message to the group for some assistance with it,
since it seems to be the method of choice within Ubuntu these days.

Jack