Anti-Virus Utilities on linux/ubuntu

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Tue Jun 9 23:38:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, June 9, 2009 22:03, Graham Todd wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 22:57:02 -0500
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess the real question there is, "am I my brother's keeper?"  IOW,
>> am I responsible for trying to keep Windows machines safe from their
>> own enemies which are not necessarily my own?
> [snipped]
>
> You've hit the nail on the head.  However, a fairly high proportion of
> those with whom I correspond are my friends and I do not wish to pass
> on viruses to them (even though I might wish they have more secure
> systems).
>
> So it seems to me to be a good reason to have the best AV software
> installed.  That, for me, is ClamAV backed up with rootkit hunter.

It is all very true, but it might already be done for you with regards to
email.  Half a year ago I experienced one of our mail servers, serving
some 10.000 customers, being blocked by one of the largest Internet
providers in the Western world.  It turned out to be due to fishing mail.
We immediately installed AV and never had any problems since.
What I really want to say is that it is becoming more and more normal for
mail servers to be equipped with AV.  It is therefore, as I see it, a
little overdoing it to have AV for email on each and every computer.
I don't see any big pipeline from Linux/UNIX machine where virus would
come if email is largely cleaned.

Just a thought.
--
                           Carl Friis-Hansen